1. Let’s Debunk Myths About Mold
  • Really Gross Facts About Mold

    September 01, 2018

    webLoaded = "false" Loadclientside=No

    Debunking seven common mold myths.

    • Can you separate mold fact from fiction? Take this quick quiz to find out.

      True or False: All mold is dangerous.

      False: The term “mold” is applied to a group of filamentous fungi that includes everything from the mold that can formulate on food to toxic indoor molds that grow on surfaces. We’re all exposed to a variety of fungal spores on a daily basis when breathing indoor and outdoor air, with no negative health outcomes*.

      However, molds that grow inside can produce toxic elements that can be harmful to some people, especially infants and the elderly, pregnant women and individuals with respiratory conditions such as allergies and asthma, or weakened immune systems*.

      True or False: Some people are more sensitive to molds than others.

      True: The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that people who are sensitive to mold may experience itchy eyes or skin, wheezing and a stuffy nose. However, people who are allergic to mold or have asthma can experience more intense reactions**.

      True or False: Basements are the main source of household mold.

      False: The American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) reports that indoor mold simply needs moisture to grow. Excessive indoor moisture that can lead to problems can occur from indoor flooding, roof leaks, storm-driven rain that seeps into window frames or walls, leaking pipes, damp basements and condensation on cold surfaces*.

      True or False: Mold always smells musty.

      False: That tell-tale musty smell is a good way to detect indoor mold, but mold doesn’t always smell—think small amounts of mildew on a shower curtain. You should use your eyes as much as your nose to detect mold in your home*.

      True or False: Air conditioning helps reduce household mold.

      True: The CDC recommends using an air conditioner during humid months. If you don’t have AC, a dehumidifier can be helpful. It’s also important to keep household humidity at no higher than 50 percent throughout the day**. You can check humidity levels with a tool called a hygrometer. Digital versions are available at home supply stores for about $15

      True or False: If you see mold in your home, you should get it tested to see what kind it is.

      False: The CDC does not recommend testing for household molds to determine their risk to your family’s health. They recommend simply getting rid of any apparent mold, especially if someone in your household shows symptoms of sensitivity**.

      True or False: You always should call a professional to clean up visible mold in your home.

      False: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that if the moldy area is less than roughly 10 square feet, you can handle the job yourself***.
      Click here for the EPA’s tips and tricks to clean up mold.

      However, for occurrences of mold larger than 10 square feet, it’s wise to hire a contractor to do the cleanup. The EPA advises consumers to make sure contractors have experience cleaning up mold.

      True or False: Filtrete™ Filters can help capture mold spores.

      True: Filtrete™ Healthy Living Air Filters are 90 percent effective at capturing mold spores, as well as dust and pollen. Remember to change your filter at least every three months to keep your air quality cleaner and healthier for your family.

      Sources:

      * The American Industrial Hygiene Association

      ** Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

      *** Environmental Protection Agency