Breathing cleaner air is always on our list of goals for the new year—here’s a refresh on why indoor air quality matters, and some product updates to make it easier to accomplish your air quality goals.
The beginning of the year is a great time to reset and start fresh, whether you’re re-engaging in an at-home workout routine or finally getting around to that cleaning or DIY project you’ve put off. As you make your list of goals for the year, don’t forget to include better indoor air quality. Here’s why cleaner air at home can boost your wellness goals, plus some Filtrete™ Air Quality Solutions to help you get there.
Depending on your location, you may think about air quality outside a lot. But it’s just as important to take care of the air inside—especially since Americans spend about 90% of their time indoors.¹ Tiny particles like pet dander, dust, viruses, bacteria and volatile organic compounds can pollute your air the same way outdoor air gets polluted with smog and exhaust.
If your resolutions have anything to do with wellness, cleaner indoor air can help you achieve them. Want to keep a cleaner home? Ventilating your air can offset chemicals released by harsh cleaning products. Aiming to complete more at-home workouts? Improving your indoor air quality through filtering and ventilation can help you breathe in fewer pollutants while you’re exercising.³ Interested in less takeout and more home-cooked meals? Filtering and purifying your air can reduce the lingering smells and cooking fumes that might make you want to go back to your old ways.
No matter your new year resolutions and goals, consider these steps to increase ventilation and improve indoor air quality at home:
1. Open windows.
2. Run exhaust fans while using the bathroom and kitchen.
3. Replace your HVAC filter regularly.
4. Make this the year of ease and enroll in subscription filter deliveries from your preferred retailer. That way, you’ll always have a fresh filter when it’s time for a change.
Take your indoor air care to the next level with a Filtrete™ Smart Air Purifier. It connects to the Filtrete™ Smart App, giving you more control over your indoor air quality—and more control over your wellness resolutions. You can control the fan speed and runtime—or you can let our built-in air quality monitor automatically react and purify indoor air when it senses a concern.
Keep in mind, the device also seamlessly integrates into your smart home system, connecting via Bluetooth® to Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and more.
We’ve added some new features to the Filtrete™ Smart App to help you stay even more on top of your air quality goals. The App has a new “Activity” section to keep you informed about your indoor air: In addition to alerts about when it’s time to change your HVAC filter, you can find app tips and tricks, and educational articles on air quality science.
To visit the Activity section:
2. Open the Filtrete Smart App. On the main screen, you'll see a button on the bottom dashboard, named Activity.
3. Tap to see this interactive feed that automatically provides air quality alerts and expert tips on managing your home's air quality.
1. EPA.gov: What are the trends in indoor air quality and their effects on human health?
2. EPA.gov: Why Indoor Air Quality is Important to Schools
3. CDC.gov: Protect Yourself from Air Pollution During Physical Activity