Dry air is no fun, but neither is household mold growth and all the other unwelcome byproducts of a too-humid house. Read on to learn why it’s important to strike that just-right moisture balance—and how you can achieve it to avoid moisture and mold problems.
Suspect that your home’s too humid? The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends watching out for these red flags¹
Mold can grow on almost any surface if the surface has moisture on it. Mold comes from spores, which can travel through air currents. When spores land on those moist surfaces, they multiply and grow into mold colonies.
Too much moisture can trigger a host of problems for your home and the people who live in it.
According to the American Lung Association, dampness and the mold associated with it can trigger persistent health issues including coughing, wheezing, nasal congestion, sore throat and sneezing, as well as worsening asthma and rhinitis.
It’s important to note that even without mold, you may experience health problems since bacteria, viruses, dust mites and cockroaches also thrive in humid conditions.²
Your air isn’t the only thing affected by humidity. Ongoing dampness can cause lots of issues in your home, including (but unfortunately not limited to) warped or rotted walls and floorboards, termite and other pest infestations and peeling paint and varnish.¹
Tips to keep your home’s humidity level in that desirable 30 to 50% range³: